Project 1

By Edith Gomez


Collect Building Information:

The proposed project is located in Melbourne, Australia in the district of Southbank. Currently, there is a large need of schools particularly high schools all over Australia. The majority of the schools needed is in the state of Victoria. To meet the needs of districts, students, and communities a new merging type of building is proposed in the urban environments. High-rise high schools are being build in overpopulated regions of mixed use and skyscrapers due to the lack of space.

Site Mass Modeling:
The surrounding site was created in a generic mass model family with the insertion of a auto cad file that consisted of buildings, roads, and landscapes. Used the pick line tool to create the base of the buildings and then create form. The buildings were extruded to the existing heights.

Mass Modeling:

The mass of the model was made into another generic mass family. There were reference lines and planes created to define the site and boundaries. Family types and instances were set to help define the mass. Voids were used to dig out mass for circulation bridges, open air floor for structure, and separate the mass for programatic functions. Levels were created according to the programs functions and assigned heights which will come in use when dividing surfaces. 

Parametric Envelope:
The faces of the mass were divided to design for the facade. The u and y rays were not an important factor as to using the intersection list, the levels were checked and the references were unchecked. This helps define the floors, and will be benificial for materiality and function.  

One major approach for the parametric facade was to use a rectangular divided surface. A new curtain  panel by pattern was created to match the rectangular pattern surface. A point was set on the rectangular reference lines and then clicked the point to create a circle in the direction of the reference lines. The circle and the references lines were picked to create the form or thickness of the curtain panel. It is then uploaded to to the mass family. There was a new pattern created in the rectangular pattern,  that is the new curtain panel pattern we created. 

To create a more dynamic facade I used a generic mass adaptive family to create other panel designs in the mass. There were four adaptive points created for the perimeter of the panel and one final adaptive point that will be recording length and be able to use another surface to express different extrusion dimensions. There are two panels in one large panel but there is flexibility on how you want to define an extrusion of the panel. Formulas were used to help denied the boundaries of the extrusion, heights, depth, width, spacing of the panels. 

Another general mass adaptive family was made to equalize the point of insertion and help the flexibility of the extrusion of the panels. 

The new general mass adaptive family that contains the both the perimeter panel an the individual panel families to tower mass family. Reference spline by points was used to create boundaries of each panel. Another surface that was treated the same as the mass surface was created for the reporting length adaptive point. The first four adaptive points were in the tower mass surface. I used the repeat tool to repeat the same process to the rest of the remaining surface. There are several ways to define the extrusion dimensions but there was main focus on defining the different heights of the levels. The 16 feet height floors had thinner panels while the other 28 and 32 feet height are thicker to help the define the double floor ceilings. 

Develop Project:

The project was developed by adding architectural walls and roof by face using the parametric mass families of the two towers. Insertion of walls, floors, and ceilings in the interior began forming the spaces with furniture in the bottom floors. There are 27 floors with 2 floors being belt trusses. One of the floors being open air for wind to pass and reduce wind loads on the building separates the two masses. 

Render Project: